Thursday, January 14, 2010

My first dogs, part I

Every country-dwelling residence needs at least one dog, right? I grew up with only barn cats, so I hadn't been around dogs much when I moved to Iowa. I didn't have a clue how to train them or how much trouble they could cause. I'd been to a few dog shows with my aunt, who breeds and shows champion AKC Irish Setters. I'd played with my older brother's Cocker Spaniel, Bailey, when I visited him and his wife. That was pretty much it.

My idea of the most beautiful dogs was the breeds with more of a "wolf" look (like Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies) and German Shepherd Dogs, with their beautiful black masks. I certainly didn't care for yippy little lap dogs or dogs that really didn't even LOOK like dogs (like the hairless rats, the Chihuahuas).

Since I didn't plan on breeding or showing my dog, I checked out Petfinder to find a GSD or GSD mix available for adoption from an animal shelter not too far from where I lived. I made the naive assumption that pretty much any dog from a shelter would have the basic training. Ideally, that's how it would be, but reality is far, far removed from idealism.

First I visited the Nebraska Humane Society, since it was located in Omaha and not too far from work. I found an adorable 5 or 6 month old puppy I wanted to meet online, and I planned to stop by after work one day. I filled out the required forms, and they told me to wait in a visiting room because another family was currently meeting the dog.

Long story short about the NHS (a place I wasn't crazy about anyways because of a previous situation involving a cat I owned who died because they never responded to calls to come help her), I didn't even get to play with the puppy. They wouldn't adopt out a puppy to me because I wouldn't be able to come home every lunch hour to let the pup out to pee. They wouldn't adopt a dog out to me because I wouldn't promise to keep it as a house pet only. It is my view that dogs are primarily outdoor pets. I wanted farm dogs.

Feeling sour about the NHS, I continued my search online for rescue operations with more compatible philosophies to my own. I inquired about a few pets before I saw the photo of Hannah.

Hannah, January 2006

Hannah had the classic GSD face, although she was a mixed breed. She was listed by the Platte Valley Humane Society, which wasn't very close to me. However, I'd checked into everything closer and hadn't found any dogs to peak my interest. I emailed the lady about Hannah, and she didn't have a problem with a dog that lived mainly outdoors.

I drove all the way to just outside Columbus, Nebraska, to meet the puppy. The PVHS didn't have a building; all the dogs lived in foster care. The lady I corresponded with directed me to her house, where many of the dogs for adoption lived. She had an extensive kennel system set up around her house. There were at least twenty dogs, not including her personal pets.

Hannah definitely was a sweet girl and loved attention. She and her sister, Tasha, came from an abusive situation. They were about 7 months old when the lady picked them up, but she couldn't adopt them out for several months while the sheriff investigated the case. Now they were about 11 months old.

Tasha differed greatly from her sister. Hannah weighed at least ten pounds more than her little black sister. Tasha, while clearly part GSD, appeared shorter and stockier. I'm pretty sure they had different fathers (it's possible for puppies from the same litter to have different sires).

Tasha, April 2006

Tasha huddled in a little ball as far away from me as possible. She perked up her ears when the lady called her, but she remained at a distance. The lady caught her while I waited and brought both Hannah and Tasha to the garage so I could visit with them.

Hannah enjoyed visiting. Tasha trembled and hid behind the lady she knew. Her eyes showed wariness and some fear but no aggression. They had suffered beatings as little puppies, growing up in a trashy trailer park before being rescued a few months prior.

I elected to adopt both so they would have each other for company while I worked.

I signed the paperwork and wrote a check for the small adoption fee. Hannah hopped right into my small blue Ranger, but Tasha needed coaxing. On the drive home, Tasha cowered on the passenger seat next to the window, as far away from me as possible. Hannah lay next to me, drooling on the upholstery. She threw up once all over the floor.

That was only the beginning of the excitement to come with two wild pups.

To be continued...

1 comments:

Krazy Cindy said...

Thanks Alena :-) I write mostly for myself, as an outlet, and so I can get some memories down before I forget too many details. I am always thrilled when someone else can derive enjoyment from my writing. I appreciate the feedback!