Friday, November 6, 2009

The Krazy Kast of Kharacters: An introduction to my herd :-)

Since I talk about them all the time, I will introduce my little herd, from the oldest member to the youngest. I started out with four horses two and a half years ago (story to be told later). This past summer I sold my oldest mare, an Arabian named Phoenix (registered name Praire Park Gerri). Phoenix is 10 years old and bred for endurance. She is a sweetheart, but due to unfortunate circumstances in her past she never reached her full genetic potential for size. She is 14.2 hands high and very narrow (a hand is 4 inches for the reference of any nonequestrians, measured to the withers, or the shoulder, of the horse. The 0.2 means that she is 14 hands, 2 inches, or 14.2). She is really too small for me to ride. She has a lot of go, though, and the desire to please. Her new owner plans to condition her for endurance competitions and keep me up to date on her progress.

The oldest of my current horses is Jazzy, a grade Quarter Horse mare. Grade means that she's unregistered (again, for any non-horsey people who might desire to read this blog). She is around 5 - 7 years of age and about 15 hands tall. She is partially blind in one eye, and I'm not sure how much/little she can see out of that eye.


Zeplin is my pinto-Arabian gelding and one of only two boys on my property. He is about 97% Arabian with a tobiano coat from a long ago paint ancestor (tobiano coat patterns don't occur in purebred Arabians). He's a goofball, and he just loves to play! He will turn four in March. I hope he's not done growing UP, because I want him to reach 15 hands in height. Last time he was measured, back in September I think, he came in at about 14.2 hands. He still looks very boyish.


Calypso (Caly) is my youngest horse. She is a few months younger than Zeplin (born in July). She is half Arab/half Quarter Horse but unregistered. I'm trying to get her hardship registered with the Quarter Pony Association, which shouldn't be a problem, I just have to prove that she's pony size. She is about 14 hands tall, and I'm pretty sure she's done growing UP, she's just filling out now. I have her listed for sale, but it wouldn't break my heart if she stayed with me! I'm just concerned about the future possibility of having to board three horses. Two would be a lot easier.


I have several non-equine "herd" members, too. Molly the Nigerian Dwarf goat is approximately four and a half years old, maybe five. Her favorite pasttime is rubbing her horns on everything that doesn't move. They must be really itchy! (Side note: Wow! I had to really look to find a picture of her, and it's not recent or particularly good. I just don't photograph the goat!)


Then there is this kiddo, who thinks she's everyone else's boss. Quimby is my two year old (as of yesterday) English Shepherd. She is constantly smiling and always wants to be the center of attention. She's also very smart, or I would've never been able to teach her a single thing. I know less about dog training than I do about horse training, and that's not much!

Then we have the indoor "herd" members, my three cats. Chyornee is the oldest at ten. He's been through several moves with me, and he knows he's very special. He's also the only other male on the premises aside from Zeplin.

I adopted Koshka as a kitten when I moved to my house four and a half years ago. I think she's part Maine Coon, and she's a big girl! She's very vocal and has to be into everything. She's the boldest of my cats--not much phases her.

Kit Kit is the polar opposite of Koshka. She's a small, dainty slip of a cat, even at a year and a half. She's very skittish, and the slightest step her way could send her scurrying into hiding. She hates being picked up but loves to cuddle. I planned on her being "Quimby's kitten," but, alas, I'm a sucker for a cuddler!

That's it for now, but I'll have plenty more to say about all of them in the future. Looks like it's going to be a gorgeous weekend, so I'll be out enjoying it while it lasts. Happy Friday!!

0 comments: