Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Ave Maria Grotto

I'm seriously lacking in energy today. I think it's because I might be coming down with a cold. So I've decided to keep today's post short. I wanted to discuss a positive memory that wasn't horse related and this is what came to mind.

I lived in Alabama for two years several years ago. The drive to visit my family in Indiana was long, over ten hours, so sometimes I looked for things to break the monotony of the road. In addition, I had some friends I visited in Huntsville along the way on occasion.

I heard about the Ave Maria Grotto from my Spanish friends, Jaume and Marta. They enjoyed taking road trips to explore the U.S. as they had time. Some of their trips included spur-of-the-moment stops, and their visit to the Grotto was one. They loved it!

The Grotto is located off I-65 in Cullman, AL. If I remember correctly, that's the town with the giant peach as a water tower ;-) It's been ages since I have been to Alabama, so I could be mixing up my water towers. Anyways, I decided to check it out one time on my way back from Indiana (with an overnight in Huntsville to break up the trip).

The miniatures are amazing! There are models of famous religious and historical sites throughout the world. They were built by a monk in the first half of the last century (more information about Brother Joseph Zoettl and the Grotto here). I highly recommend stopping by if you are driving through the area. Very inexpensive and very memorable. I took many pictures; unfortunately, I lost them when the hard drive on my old computer died. I "borrowed" these pictures from other sites to give you an idea of what the Grotto looks like.




0 comments: