Friday, November 27, 2009

Beautiful weather outside...

...So why am I inside? *Sigh.*

Back to work after a relaxing Thanksgiving. I didn't trek the over 1200 miles round trip to visit family this year (nor did I last year). Instead I baked some of my traditional Thanksgiving favorites and headed to Julie's house to share the holiday with her, her husband, and his family. This was my third Thanksgiving away from family since I moved out here. Prior to that I only missed one, the year I was living in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Last year I didn't travel for Christmas either, and I don't believe I will be making that trip this year. I've grown weary of long, endless miles on the road with only a puppy (or two) for company.

While I was at Julie's house, her husband's nieces shared funny stories of their time growing up. I was asked for amusing stories of my own, and I really couldn't even think of one good story. The only tales I recall are the ones my own sisters like to recount.

For me, childhood was a very serious time. What entertainment can I provide by discussing hours in my mom's garden pulling weeds? I did tell them about my brothers flushing green beans and peas down the toilet so that they wouldn't have to stem/shell them. They were discovered, of course, when the toilet clogged. My younger brother hid piles of unfinished vegetables underneath stacks of stems and discarded pods, so that they would end up in the compost pile. Not my own recollection, but my next older sister (Sarah) remembers throwing Legos at my oldest sister (Grace) and her boyfriend through the gap between the ceiling and the wall that divided our room from Grace's.

It bothers me that I can't think of any light-hearted moments from my youth. Plenty come to mind after I achieved independence and started living on my own, free from my mother's oppressive thumb. Why wasn't I a normal, carefree child? I do recall pleasant moments, but nothing outright hilarious and no wonderful pranks pulled on unsuspecting siblings. Nothing really mischievous. Maybe they occurred and it's just my memory that is faulty. Maybe something will come to mind when I next talk to my sisters. Maybe not.

There are many things to be thankful for in my life. I prefer to always keep my eyes focused on the future instead of reliving the past. The sweetest moments will always be nestled deep in my mind to bring me warmth in the coldest and loneliest of times.

My sister Sarah on Hannah, Julie and my niece Sammie on Vivian at Julie's place (Sept 2009)

0 comments: