Friday, November 12, 2010

Three's company

I think I called my new mare "Layla" in my last blog without mentioning that this would be her new name. Layla in Arabic means "dark beauty," and it's very appropriate for my lovely black Arab.

Last weekend, I allowed all of my ponies in together. Zeplin had already spent a week in the same pasture as Layla. Jazzy and Layla were acquainted over the fence. I wanted to make sure when I introduced them into one group that I had plenty of time to observe.

My troika of horses trotted all over the pasture together when I allowed Jazzy in with the others. I took some pictures and videos with my phone (since my regular camera is not yet fixed).
I was pleased to find no arguing when I threw them some hay. Layla is very submissive and will move to a different hay pile if another horse pushes her away. Zeplin sometimes moves her to prove his dominance, although he himself is quick to step out of Jazzy's way when those ears go back.
While Zeplin might push Layla away from his pile, Jazzy doesn't mind sharing her own hay with Layla. I think these two mares will bond very well.

3 comments:

Reinbow Valley Farm said...

That's fantastic that they're all getting along together already. They look beautiful, Cindy! Thanks for sharing your new girl with us, and YES, she truly is a beauty.. ~Julie~

Reinbow Valley Farm said...

That's fantastic that they're all getting along together already. They look beautiful, Cindy! Thanks for sharing your new girl with us, and YES, she truly is a beauty.. ~Julie~

Krazy Cindy said...

Thanks, Julie :-) Jazzy is fine about sharing with Layla, but Zeplin likes to push her around sometimes. I chase him a bit when he gets too naughty. BOYS!!