Friday, August 19, 2011

Working those furry butts

Yesterday after work I headed south to where my ponies currently reside. I plan anything specifically; I just wanted to work both Layla and Zeplin. Weather in the mid 80s with moderate humidity was a definite improvement over the extended heat wave and high humidity of a couple weeks ago.

I took my time grooming each horse, using several brushes to dig out the grime and polish their sleek coats. Zeplin stretched out with a rapturous look on his silly face, urging me to ease the worst of his itches. Layla allowed my ministrations but did not relax until I started singing softly and applied the softest body brush along her long neck and back.

The late afternoon stretched into evening as I combed out knotted manes and tails. Layla's mane was impossible to untangle without any type of product, so I merely tidied what I could. Both were saddled and then worked individually.
I asked both Layla and Zeplin to canter a lot on the longeline. We were all a dripping, sweaty mess by the time we finished, but I had a chance to observe their gaits and attitudes.

Layla and I need plenty of time together to bond. Zeplin oozes confidence, but he still isn't sure he really wants to commit to serious effort or if he just wants to play. Mental maturity (if such a thing can be acheived by a gelding!) will help stabilize his goofy streak and cement our partnership. I'm certainly looking forward to endless hours riding my lovely Ay-rab mounts!

Here is some footage I took on my phone a different day when I longed Layla. I tried the same day to record some of Zep's session, but he required more attention and both hands to keep his silly feet moving.

0 comments: