Friday, June 3, 2011

Stress

There are a lot of things that have been stressing me out lately. Today I had another HUGE concern thrown into the potpourri of things that are shaving years of my life, potentially causing ulcers, and leading to lots of cravings for comfort foods.

At first I wasn't going to post this on my blog, but then I thought, "What the hell? This is my blog, and if I can't bitch and vent on my own blog, where can I?"

You don't have to read anymore if you really don't care to hear me whine.

Ok, those of you still reading, this is what my (as of yet unsold) house in IA may look like shortly:
 Now, my house is not extremely close to the Missouri River. In fact, it is nearly 2 miles away from the closest bend in the river. There is even a dike between the river and my house.

Flooding in South Dakota has led the Army Corps of Engineers to release a lot more water from the dams upstream from the house. This is a map showing potential flooding around my house:
My house is in one of the purple areas (meaning it might get inundated with up to 2 ft of water). It's part of a "sacrificial" area that will be allowed to flood more than normal in order to save other, apparently more important areas. A mandatory evacuation has already been ordered.

To put this in perspective, the largest flood in the history of my house (built in 1900) occured in 1952. The water did reach my property and created a huge ditch, but it never reached the house or was even really close. Nothing like the projected flooding map I just showed.

This is the image I can't get out of my head:

Nearly six years of investment and personal sacrifice could be destroyed :-(

2 comments:

Reinbow Valley Farm said...

Hope you made it back home safely.? Keeping you in my prayers and will continue to keep an eye on your house..(Hope and pray it doesn't flood).. Was VERY good to see you though..~Julie~

Krazy Cindy said...

Good to see you, too, Julie! Let's hope the water doesn't approach my house.